Visit The Malverns during our well dressing season, and you’ll be delighted with the bright colours and our community spirit when touring the Malvern Hills, and the three town centres, which make up the town of Malvern (Great Malvern, Barnards Green and Malvern Link).
There are also plenty of shopping opportunities during both weekends of the festival across the town of Malvern at the various independent shops, the Malvern Artisan & Craft Market in The Lyttelton Rooms on Saturday 30 April as well as the long running and highly recommended Boffy Arts Market which takes place on the second festival weekend on Saturday 7 May 2022 in the Priory Grounds, beneath the stunning backdrop of Great Malvern Priory and the Malvern Hills rising up behind.
This year, there will be over 50 wells, springs and spouts lovingly dressed by local residents, schools and community groups in this year’s theme ‘Literature’ – playing homage to our connections with the many great writers who have visited or been inspired, by our magnificent landscape, beautiful towns and cultural heritage.
The designs are kept top secret until they are dressed on Friday 29 April 2022, but we hope to see artistic recreations from ‘Narnia’, ‘The Shire’, and ‘Middle Earth’, along with The Theory of Evolution and Dickensian-inspired designs. We are almost certain the wells, spring and spouts dressed by the schools, will portray characters and worlds created in modern children’s literature, as well as well-known children’s books characters everyone will remember!
Malvern Spring Water has a rich and varied history. Find out more from the Malvern Spa Association here.
The festival is organised by the Malvern Spa Association with support from Malvern Hills District Council.
- Tour over 50 wells, springs and spouts dressed in this year’s theme ‘Literature’
- Purchase a Well Dressing Map from Malvern Tourist Information Centre and go on a Self-guided Walk
- Well Blessings (various dates – see below)
- Mini-Bus Tours (various dates – see below)
- 30 April – Health & Wellbeing Fair in Rose Bank Gardens (organised by Malvern Town Council)
- 30 April – Malvern Artisan & Craft Market in The Lyttelton Rooms on Church Street (Please note it is not the Boffy Arts Market in the Priory Grounds as previously advertised. The Boffy Arts Market takes place during the second festival weekend on the 7 May 2022)
- 30 April – Florence Nightingale Walk with local expert Cora Weaver at 11am and 7pm. £6.00 each for 1.5 hours. Call Malvern Tourist Information Centre to book tickets 01684 892289.
- 30 April – Peace Concert for Ukraine at Malvern Cube. Find out more here.
- 1 May – NEW For Sunday – head to outside the Priory Gatehouse on Abbey Road at 10am for dance performances by the AKAcademy.
- 1 May – Ceilidh at Malvern Cube also celebrating the venues 10th Birthday.
- 5 May – 8 May – The RHS Malvern Spring Festival takes place at the Three Counties Showground.
- 7 May Boffy Arts Market in the Priory Grounds.
Bank Holiday Monday – Family Fun Day in Priory Park
The Family Fun Day in Priory Park is a mixture of children’s activities and entertainment, including the NEW Priory Play Park being open, Freedom Leisure Xplorer Trail, children’s water-inspired rides, circus skills, clay pottery workshops, the Well Dressing Prize Giving Ceremony and the Victorian Water Cure re-enactment (organised by Malvern Hills District Council and the Malvern Spa Association).
Purchase a Well Dressing map (A4 50p & A3 £1) from Malvern Tourist Information Centre to go on a self-drive or self guided walk around the Malvern Hills and through the three town centres (Great Malvern, Barnards Green and Malvern Link).
Dressed Wells, Springs and Spouts include:
– Malvhina Fountain on Belle Vue Island in Great Malvern
– Elgar and The Engima Fountain on Belle Vue Island in Great Malvern
– St. Ann’s Well located on route by foot from Great Malvern to the Worcestershire Beacon
– Holy Well in Malvern Wells, North Malvern Tank Clock, Hayslad and Lord Sandy’s Spout
– Plus so many more to discover….
Please note we can only recommend drinking the water from Malvhina Fountain in Great Malvern without boiling first.
Download the map or purchase an A4 or A3 at Malvern Tourist Information Centre.
Well Blessings & Ceremonies 2022
|Friday 29 April||All Day||Dressing Day|
|Saturday 30 April||8:30am||Well Blessing – St James’s Church West Malvern – Revd Becky Elliott|
|Saturday 30 April||4pm||Well Blessing – Malvhina, Belle Vue Terrace Island – Revd Rod Corke|
|Sunday 1 May||10am||‘Beautiful Music’ – St Anne’s Well – Ray Mytton|
|Sunday 1 May||2pm||‘Ceremony’ with Rainbow Guardians – Hayslad Spout|
|Sunday 1 May||3pm||‘Ceremony’ with Malvern Border Druids – Hayslad Spout – Lorraine Munn|
|Monday 2 May||4:45am||Dripping Well Dawn Ceremony – Jonathan Penley|
|Sunday 8 May||6pm||Well Dressing Closing Ceremony with Ian and Susie Woodcock or Julia Palmer-Price|
|Saturday 30 April||10:30am||Minibus Tour|
|Saturday 30 April||2:30pm||Minibus Tour|
|Sunday 1 May||2:30pm||Minibus Tour|
|Monday 2 May||10:30am||Minibus Tour|
|Monday 2 May||2:30pm||Minibus Tour|
Guided Minibus Well Tours: £12 per 2.5hr trip.
Tickets available now from Malvern Tourist Information Centre
6 Church Street, Malvern WR14 2AY