It’s time to get musical as Midsummer Malvern returns with a week-long community celebration at the end of June.
Download the Midsummer Malvern Festival event programme here Midsummer Malvern Programme 2019.
From musical performances and concerts to talks and walks, a number of activities will be held from 21-29 June based on the theme ‘Music in Malvern’.
An opening ceremony will be held with the MP Harriet Baldwin, Cllr Neil Morton, Mayor of Malvern and Cllr Dean Clarke, Chairman of Malvern Hills District Council Council on the morning of 22 June.
Sponsored by the Civic Society, the event is now in its ninth year and over that time more than £15k has been raised for local community groups.
The activities will include:
- A community choir concert in the Malvern Theatres Forum.
- A jazz concert in the Cube.
- A lecture on a WW1 theme and the well-known silhouette artist HL Oakley.
- A lecture on ‘Elgar and the Novelist’.
- A music recital to celebrate one hundred years of education at Malvern St James entitled ‘Women in Music’.
- A Town Council and Community Partnership reception for the Mayor of Mariánské Lázně – one of Malvern’s twin towns celebrating one hundred years of the Czech Republic and fifty years since the Prague Spring.
- ‘900 years of music making in Malvern’ – a lecture in the Theatre Cinema.
- An Arts Festival at St Peter’s Church, Cowleigh Bank with a number of events including an evening with poet Carol Ann Duffy.
As part of the celebration, three gardens will be open to the public as part of the National Gardens Scheme and people can pay a visit to Weston Hall Gardens.
The week will conclude with a Choral Evensong in Malvern Priory in aid of the Friends of Malvern Priory and their work on the renovation of the fabric.
All the principal events are being run in aid of St Richard’s Hospice.
Visit www.malverncivicsociety.org.uk for more information and to get involved.