Last year, after all the lockdown restrictions, the people of Upton decided they needed to cheer themselves up. So, on the 12th June 2021 they decided that the whole town would hold the Upton Festival of Fancy Dress.
Everyone in the entire town decided to put on fancy-dress costumes and simply go about their daily lives. Whether this was going shopping, keeping busy working, pub crawling, visiting restaurants or just sitting in the sun and admiring the fun.
Buskers were encouraged to come and play in the street and live bands came to play in the pubs. The whole town took part as did tourists and it was a fantastic event.
However, this year it will hopefully be an even bigger and better event! The Minge Lane Festival (named after Upton’s famous Minge Lane) will celebrate the quirky nature of Upton and everything it stands for! The towns eccentricity and outrageousness will hopefully be reflected in the attire everyone comes dressed in! Upton’s musical heritage will be represented by the fantastic live bands and musicians that will perform in its many Pubs.
This is a people powered festival; just like the universe it has no centre! The more people who come here in costume the more this festival will expand. There is no judgement at Minge Lane Festival. The aim is for all people, whoever they are, to break the chains of convention and to feel comfortable wearing the most outrageous attire anyone could dream up!
So come to Upton on 28 and 29 May 2022 to the entirely FREE Minge Lane festival. Join us all for a shopping trip, pub crawl, meal, gig or come to just chill out next to the river in the sunshine. Invite as many friends as you have and help spread the word! You are not just attending this festival you are this festival.
Here is the full run down of festivities:
Sat 28 May 2022
- Fancy dress costumes to be worn by everyone in town.
- 10:00 – Fun Run Minge Lane (Give them a wave)
- 13:00 – Kev Donaldson from the Murmur at the Star Inn
- 14:00 – Morris dancing riverside from
- 15:30 – Mysterious Blues at the Star Inn
- Face painting, Stocks, Fancy dress competition at the Star Inn
- 21:00 – Blackhawks at bar Severn
- 21:00 – Pete Hyde and the Vilyards at The Wheelhouse
Sunday 29 May 2022
- Fancy dress costumes to be worn by everyone in town
- 14:00 – John Eselle at the Kings Head
- 15:00 – Music the Bones at Bar Severn
- 16:00 – Big Joe Band at The Wheelhouse
- 18:00 – DJ Frosty at The Star Inn